ACADEMY OF INTEGRATED CHRISTIAN STUDIES
The Library of Academy of Christian Studies (AICS) was started with a few collections along with the existence of the Institution in 2000. The Library has developed a tremendous growth in its collections and services every year. The AICS Library acts as the information centre for the students, faculty members, non teaching staffs, and other members of the community. Since the inception of the library, it has been playing a key role in preservation and conservation of different publications of the Baptist Church of Mizoram.
The Library is headed by 1 Librarian, 1 Assistant Librarian and supported by 2 Library Assistant. The library had a separate collections rooms i.e. Reference Section and Stack Section. The library remained open from 10:00am to 4:30pm Monday to Friday, and 10:00am to 12:00pm on Saturday. The Library night shift is also open from 7:00pm to 9:00pm which is maintain and supervised by the student’s library in-charge. The library membership is available for all students, faculties and other staffs of AICS.
The library is also automated with the library management software called SOUL developed by INFLIBNET supported by University Grant Commission (UGC). Using this software the documents of the library are automated and automated circulation system is available through barcode technology. The library facilities are heavily used by the students, faculty members, non-teaching staffs. The outsiders and visitors who intend to consult the library collections are also allowed to utilize the facilities.
All the collections in the library including the books, references, journals, theses, back volumes etc are allowed for consultation by the external users. Different services of the library such as Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC), reprographic services etc are also allowed to be used by the external agencies or individuals. Reprographic service is available at a low charge rate for both the members and outside agencies or individuals. But the lending service of the documents is available for the members of the community and is restricted against the external users. Most of the services and collections of the AICS Library is available and free of cost for the external users during the library hours for their further research, studies and updating knowledge.
The Library has a collection (as on 27.02.2019) of 21658 Books and References, 296 theses, subscribing 61 periodicals. The periodicals include 42 Journals, 23 Magazines, 6 Dailies (3 Mizo and 3 English).The Library has also provided different services and facilities for the users:
- Availability of OPAC (Online Public Access Catalogue) for locating documents.
- A well furnished reading room is maintained.
- Reprographic service is available at a nominal charge.
- Orientation programme is conducted every year for the newly admitted students.
- Generator has been installed and used for the uninterrupted power supply.
- Library Budget for the Academic year 2018-19 is Rs 11.5 lakhs.
- For saving the time of the reader every books of the Library are allot with Stack and Row Number which can be easily access from the OPAC.
- More than 1.5 lakhs are spent every year for subscribing Journals.
- Online Computer has been set up for accessing Journals and Digital Repository.